Civil and Criminal Law
All healthcare professionals are accountable to the civil and criminal laws of the country.
Further information on the differences between civil and criminal law can be found - in the 'What is Law' section.
Source of help and advice
- Bolam v Frien Hospital Management Committee  2 All ER 118,  1 WLR 582
- Bolitho v City and Hackney Health Authority  39 BMLR 1
- Donoghue v Stevenson  AC 562 101LJPC 119
- Dimond, B. (2008) Legal aspects of nursing (5th ed) Harlow: Pearson Longman
- Employment Act 1980
- National Health Service Act 1977
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (2015) The Code: Standards of conduct, performance and ethics London: NMC
- Royal College of Nursing, 2010. Advanced Nurse Practitioners - an RCN guide to the advanced nurse practitioner role, competences and programme accreditation. London: RCN