Documentation and Record Keeping
Access to Health Records Act 1990
Audit Commission, 1999. Setting the Record Straight: A Review of Progress in Health Records Services London: The Stationary Office
Data Protection Act 1998
Freedom of information (Scotland) Act 2002
Gaskin V UK (1990) 1 FLR 167
Griffiths, R. Tengnah, C., 2010. Law and Professional Issues in Nursing. (2nd Ed). Padstow : Learning Matters Limited
Health Records Act 1998
Kent v Griffiths and others (2000) 3 CLL Rep 98
Nursing and Midwifery Council, 2002. Coventry Nurse struck off for Filing to keep Proper records (NMC Press Statement 224/20 London: NMC
Nursing and Midwifery Council, 2009. Record Keeping: Guidance for Nurses and Midwives. London: NMC
Prendergast v Sam and Dee (1989) 1 Med LR 36
Case studies exploring the following ethical and legal issues in clinical practice can be found on the UK Clinical Ethics Network website:
- Who should get an intensive care bed?
- A competent patient refuses treatment
- Breaching confidentiality to protect others.
Key legal and ethical issues are highlighted in the following short video clips provided on the Ministry of Ethics website.
- Police & RTA Consent (consent, incapacity)
- Non-Accidental Injury (Child protection, breach of confidentiality in public interest)
- HIV Part 1 (Informed consent, confidentiality and breach in public interest, duty of care)
- Blood transfusion (consent, confidentiality, incapacity)
- Needlestick Injury (consent, confidentiality, incapacity)
- 14 year old and contraception (consent, confidentiality)
- Dealing with authorities (confidentiality and breach of confidentiality).